/--- On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 05:58:44PM +0100, Piers Cawley wrote:
| > At 02:31 PM 8/4/00 +0200, dLux wrote:
| > >   My suggestion is: declare "eval $scalar" as a bad guy.

| > It's not just string eval. It's also do FILE and require.

| > It's a  powerful construct, though,  and I wouldn't declare  it as
| > evil.
| > Possibly  as "unimplemented  on  some platforms  (read: palm)"  or
| > "The
| > optimizer  loathes eval/require/do  FILE after  BEGIN time  with a
| > passion you
| > couldn't imagine", but not evil.
|
| But, if the FILE it's being 'do'ne to is actually precompiled
| bytecode...
\---

I rethought  this thinggy, and (because  of the config files  or other
"do" and  "require") the compiler needs  to be available, but  I think
the  best place  is  in the  libperl.so (or  libperl.prc  in palm  for
example).  It  could make  a  compiled  file  if necessary  (and  have
access  to  the  file)  like  python does,  and  only  called  when  a
non-compiled code is referenced (like eval).

But   module  writers   should  minimize   the  usage   of  the   eval
construct...

dLux
--
== Whip me. Beat me. Make me maintain AIX ==