Bad idea.  See my multitudinous posts on why.  Briefly:

1) can't use null and undef together
2) not extendable to 29 versions of null, when SQL defines them

Nathan Wiger wrote:

> Graham Barr wrote:
> >
> > If you want an operator to act differently on some piece of data then a pragma
> > is the way to do it.
>
> I was thinking about this on the way to work. As much as I don't like
> conflating undef and null, I dislike even more the idea of the 200 pages
> in Learning Perl that will have to now be devoted to why these two:
>
>    $name = undef;
>    $name = null;
>
> Are not the same thing.

It only takes a few pages, and a few truth tables to explain NULL.  It should only
take a few pages and a few examples, to explain the difference between undef and
null.

> If everyone's in agreement, what I'll do is redraft the RFC to say Perl
> 6 should include a "use tristate" pragma which obeys blocks:
>
>    $a = undef;
>    $b = 1;
>    $c = $a + $b;    # 1
>    {
>       use tristate;
>       $d = $a + $b; # undef
>    }
>    $e = $c + $d;    # 1
>
> Thoughts?

That is useless.  It is an attempt to pack 2 data values, null, and undef, into the
same 1/2 bit [1 => number, 0 => either undef or null, depending on no/use tristate].

--
Glenn
=====