On Sun, 24 Sep 2000 23:05:45 -0700, Nathan Wiger wrote:

>> Perl programmers happy with the -X syntax will need to get used to the
>> lengthier replacement.
>
>Blech. I certainly think that long functions are fine and dandy, but I'd
>loathe the day that I'd have to give up my -X stuff. I *love* it. I'm a
>shell-head! Many Perlers are. I would not classify giving this up as an
>improvement.

I am not a shellhead. In fact, I never do any shell programming. But I
do feel that readable() innstead of -r is not an improvement. What's
next, replacing abs() with absolute()?

-r takes a *bit* of getting used to, but not much. For the rest, -X
stands out as "this is a file test", and it's short. I love short.

--
        Bart.