  >> I'll revise the RFC to add 'readable()', 'writable()', and such
  >> synonyms for -r and -w that are more like 'use english' and less like
  >> 'use English'.

i have a minor problem with the names readable and writeable. i am
currently using them as method names in a major project i have
created. they are callbacks (see my recent callback rfc) which mean the
socket is readable/writeable. maybe put some sort of prefix on them to
designate them as file test operators so we don't clutter up the
namespace so much. also the common prefix will make it clear tha tthey
are part of the family of file test ops.

here are some ideas which you can shoot down:

a minus prefix like the current -r

        -readable
        -tty

or has_ as the file has read permission:

        has_readable
        has_executable

or is_ if the file is a text file:

        is_text
        is_sticky
        is_writable

also you have to differentiate -R from -r.

        is_euid_readable
        is_ruid_writeable

and then names for -M/A/C don't work with is/has:

        file_mod_time
        file_access_time

i don't mind having the longer names as an option, but it should be a
pragma/module and the namespace has to be clean.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture, Software Engineering, Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting