On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 02:13:41PM -0400, Uri Guttman wrote:

> and if the file test names are only loaded via a pragma it should be
> ok. it is not clear to me that you want that.

It's not clear that I want that either.

This is probably a plea for a subset of 'use english;', possibly
'use english "filetests";'

But I wouldn't want that pragma to override any other aspect of the
core library, such as async I/O.

> also i think a common
> prefix idea is still valid as it will make it more apparent that these
> are from the file test family.

That's a stone's throw awaty from:

        import english
        from english import filetest

        result = filetest.readable("/dev/null")

I think the common prefix idea is a nonstarter.  There must be a way
to coming up with sensible names for all of -X that don't conflict
with the core library.  Besides, AIO has a requirement on
'sub Foo::readable()',  which means that main::readable is still
accessible and doesn't conflict.  No, that's not desirable, but AIO
behavior looks more malleable to me.

> i have not seen an attempt to name all of
> the -X ops yet.

v2 fast approaching.  ;-)

Z.