Paris Sinclair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> kOn Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Bennett Todd wrote:

>> Someone wrote:
>>> What's the upper bound in a 16bit language? Or does that case just
>>> have to break? "Sorry, you're not European. Please be assimilated
>>> before using this tool. Resistance is futile."

>> Lordie lordie lordie, you're one of the persecuted minority, and a
>> brand-waving rioter too. I've clearly stepped on a corn, not to mention
>> picked the wrong person to persecute. I'll go speak english to other
>> bigots who only speak english, and leave the future of the civilized
>> universe in your responsible hands.

> That's really ridiculous.

Bennett is reacting, I would assume, to the rather aggressive way of
phrasing arguments quoted above.  It's bothering me as well.  Could you
please start from the assumption that we're all interested in supporting
the full Unicode space to the greatest degree possible?  None of us are
trying to force an ASCII-only alphabet on anyone (although some of us are
interested in keeping ASCII-only operations fast and efficient since
that's most of what we do).

> And, if my being or not being a minority is something that would effect
> the value of my position, then you are even more dangerous than I had
> suspected.

Comments like this don't help the discussion any.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>