On 25 Sep 2000 06:07:01 -0700, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

>Bart> Plus, in Perl 5, NO core function returns a hash.
>Bart> None at all.
>
>It's not returning a hash.  I like the proposal that has it return a
>paired list, similar to the semi-paired list we get with a capturing
>split, or a list-context m/()()/g match.

If you can garantee that it's also not using a hash internally to keep
count, but instead a table parallel to the table that's being used to
hold the conversion values, you've won me over. A hash would be very
inefficient. The conversion from table to a paired list would only
happen as a final step.

--
        Bart.