* Dyck, David ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [31 Oct 2002 19:21]:

[...]
> You could use the Character Map accessory to put
> the character into the clipboard, or
> press the alt and hold the alt key while typing 0171 (or 0187)
> < alt+0171
> > alt+0187

To be honest, as easy as it is to type ^a^v<< or ^k<<,[1] it's still
typing an awful lot just to get a character. Surely the Perl operator
Huffman encoding should take into account the length of time it takes to
type the darn thing.

Personally, I'm against non US-ascii chars being part of the core
language. It's fine if people want their Unicode identifiers, or import
modules to change operators, but I'd like to think I can at least read
and write my own code in non-Latin-1 environments.

[1] screen and vim respectively, although I could always make vim treat
    << as an abbreviation for the guillemet, although that would
    interfere with heredocs),

cheers,
--
Iain, who carefully didn't use any « or » chars until just then. Oops.