On (02/11/02 11:18), Philippe 'BooK' Bruhat wrote:
> Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 11:18:22 +0100 (CET)
> From: Philippe 'BooK' Bruhat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [RFC] Perl6 Operator List, Take 5
>
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Damian Conway wrote:
>
> > Larry mused:
> >
> > > Of course, Real Mathematicians will want [1..10) and (1..10] instead.
> > >

> > Forgive me but is this syntax really necessary.
> > Does it buy us enough over +1 and -1?
>
> And for what it's worth, Real Mathematicians do not use open intervals for
> integers!

BooK, we are not talking topology here even if we are free to borrow
syntax from anywhere for notational convenience and mnemonic value.
But here, this will buy us not much, will confuse editors like vi or
emacs; Also the notation itself is not even universally adopted. In
French schools, we were writing [1..10[ for the [1..10). I find the
French notation more mnemonic because it shows clearly that the right
bracket is "porous".

--
  stef