--- Ken Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Austin Hastings wrote:
>
> The question is not about being ISO-phobic or pro-English. **

The two gripes I've heard have been:

1- It's hard to type.
2- I don't know how to type it on platform X.

With combo gripe "It'll be hard to remember how to type it across
multiple platforms X, Y, Z, etc." coming in third.

So I solved that problem. I know it's easy to type on Mac, I know how
to MAKE it easy to type on WinPC, and I know how to MAKE it easy to
type on an X terminal. In all cases, [OPTION] or [ALT] plus some
matching set of punctuation [(slashes) or (brackets)].

Now it's easy to type (easier, for me at least, than typing two
backticks, since the modifier level is the same and the hand-contortion
on a PC type keyboard [with ` and ~ in the top left corner] is much
lower), and not too difficult to remember, even across N platforms.

So I'll treat your objection, below, as a new one.

> The question is whether we want a pictographic language. I like
> the size of the English alphabet. It produces fairly short words,
> but the words are very robust (people can read words in all
> orientations, backwards, upside down, in crazy fonts, hand-written,
> etc.) This is the opposite of Huffman encoding, but just
> as useful IMHO.

The << and >> (rendered thus for Mr. Reed) are just as pictographic (or
not) as [ and ]. They look the same from top or bottom, and are
unmistakable in direction when looked at from either side. Likewise,
they are probably MORE clear, as has been mentioned, than the
difference between ' (apostrophe) and ` (tick) in many standard fonts,
especially the variable-width variety sometimes invoked for 8-bit
messages.

But in this context, we've got a pair of balanced, unmistakable
characters which have no other uses (compare, say, %hash and $a %= $b;
same character '%', different usages) being proposed to serve as the
marker for a new class of operation.

> Exponents are just written a bit smaller and a bit raised. Is this
> what we want in the core?

If every keyboard and operating system had the ability to simply
generate arbitrary expressions of the form (expr-a) ** (expr-b), ad
infinitum (a ** b ** c ** d ** e) then we'd be remiss not to use it.
But they can't, so we don't.

> ** I'm probably both. ISO-phobic because I actually represented my
> company on an ISO standard committee.

You have my sympathy.

=Austin