Austin Hastings wrote:

At this point, Meestaire ISO-phobic Amairecain Programmaire, you have
achieved keyboard parity with the average Swiss six-year-old child.
The question is not about being ISO-phobic or pro-English. **

The question is whether we want a pictographic language. I like
the size of the English alphabet. It produces fairly short words,
but the words are very robust (people can read words in all
orientations, backwards, upside down, in crazy fonts, hand-written,
etc.) This is the opposite of Huffman encoding, but just
as useful IMHO.

I've had the unpleasant job of turning math into software. Hand
written formulae can be very difficult to read because mathematics
worships Huffman encoding. Multiplication is specified by *nothing*.
Exponents are just written a bit smaller and a bit raised. Is this
what we want in the core?

Does anyone have any references for reading and comprehension
rates for different types of languages? I'm ignorant on the subject
and this seems like something a Perl programmer should know.

- Ken

** I'm probably both. ISO-phobic because I actually represented my
company on an ISO standard committee. Pro-English because it's what
I use -- being pro-English doesn't make me against everything else.
A language would have to be pretty bad to have its native speakers
advocate something else!