Austin Hastings wrote:

But this isn't really a cognitive dissonance,

I think it is. Constructs that mean two different things in two different contexts are always dissonances. Mind you, humans are normally quite good at coping with that kind of contextually sensitive dissonance. Right up to the point where their context tracking system overloads and they have to go off and become Lisp programmers. I'm just trying to make sure we don't incrementally "boil the frog" to that point.

I HOPE this doesn't work:

my sub foo( ?$bar = 1 is constant ) {...} # OKAY, but redundant.

my sub foo( ?$bar is rw = 1 is constant) {...} # const if defaulted?

No, its an error. Under either proposed syntax.

Damian