The Perl 6 Summary for the week ending 20040222
    Welcome to the latest belated Perl 6 Summary. I'm running late, so we'll
    just dive straight into perl6-internals

    Last week Dan had specced out the rules for runtime loading of bytecode.
    This week, Leo Tötsch started implementing it. There was a certain
    amount of quibbling about syntax, but that was quickly sorted out.

    http://tinyurl.com/27kp6

  Objects
    Dan continued his work on objects and on sorting out method resolution
    niggles. Getting ahead of myself slightly, he finished it this week.

    http://tinyurl.com/33ql7

  Obfuscated Parrot
    I reproduce this product of Leo Tötsch's warped brane without comment:

         bounds 1
         trace 0
         split P0, '', "\nrekcaH torraP rehtona tsuJ"
         add I1, 3
         add I2, 4
         branch I2
         pack S23, 793, I1, I0
         branch I2
         add I2, 382, I1
         branch I2
         new S23, 911, I0, I0
         branch I1
         transcode S23, S0, -19
         end

    And, to compound things:

        bounds 1
        trace 0
        newclass P0, "Just another Parrot Hacker\n"
        shift S0, P5
        does I0, P0, S0
        add I0, 4
        bsr I0
        pack S0, 381, I0, I0
        invoke
        ret

    Look, OO badness

    http://tinyurl.com/2xbye

    http://tinyurl.com/2eufv

  IO fixes for Win32
    I must confess I didn't understand the details of the discussion, but
    Goplat, Vladimir Lipsky and Melvin Smith spent some time working on IO
    issues under Win32.

    http://tinyurl.com/3b3bw

  Parrot Dumper updated
    Jens Rieks continued his sterling work on a Parrot Data::Dumper
    equivalent, posting a new version that does bounds checking and PMC
    property dumping. A later refinement added support for self referential
    data structures and other edge cases.

    http://tinyurl.com/ytmmz

  ConfigScript3
    TOGoS announced a new language targetting Parrot.

    http://tinyurl.com/2pszj

    http://tinyurl.com/2b942

  Symbol naming and IMCC2
    Dan ruled on the symbol naming issue discussion. Essentially, if your
    symbol includes a sigil, you're not going to be able to use it directly.
    Learn to love symbol tables and ".alias".

    http://tinyurl.com/37fx3

  TODO: "parrotbug"
    Dan asked for someone to implement a "parrotbug" script to handle
    building and possibly sending the bug reports into RT. The script should
    work in a similar way to perlbug, appending configuration information
    etc to any bug report.

    http://tinyurl.com/3x59b

  TODO: Forth as a compiler
    Dan asked for a volunteer to fix forth.pasm so that it can be loaded in
    as a compiler module, allowing one to do:

        compile P5, ForthCompiler, "1 2 + ."

    and have it print out 3.

    http://tinyurl.com/2zzrr

  Documentation tasks
    Taking time out to heap praise on the deserving Michael Scott, Dan
    outlined a few documentation jobs that need to be done (hopefully)
    before the next Parrot release.

    http://tinyurl.com/3eons

  SDL goodness
    The work on SDL support continued apace, with chromatic checking in
    several SDL related fixes and enhancements.

    http://tinyurl.com/yrsgk

    http://tinyurl.com/2oycl

  Parrot Day at the Austrian Perl Workshop
    Thomas Klausner announced that this year's Austrian Perl Workshop would
    have a Parrot Day, with a tutorial from Leo Tötsch and hopefully some
    other good stuff from Parrot luminaries. Thomas also asked for people to
    submit talk ideas.

    http://tinyurl.com/29ev4

    http://tinyurl.com/2257c

  SDL + Parrot = Tetris
    Jens Rieks announced the alpha of an implementation of tetris in Parrot
    using SDL for the display. Yay Jens! Mmm... a time sink... just what the
    Parrot developers need.

    http://tinyurl.com/2vb3d

  The First International Workshop on Interpreted Languages
    Dan pointed us all at the First International Workshop on Interpreted
    Languages' Call for Papers.

    http://tinyurl.com/2golt

    http://tinyurl.com/3cuhu

Meanwhile, in perl6-languages
  Traits/Roles
    I know I've had this feeling of déjŕ vu before, but I've spelt it right
    this time. Discussion of Roles continued this week. If I never read
    another discussion of the difference between "Dog::bark" and
    "Tree::bark" again, it'll be too soon.

  The Sort Problem
    The other topic of discussion this week covered sorting. It looks as
    though Perl 6's "sort" function is going to be rather more powerful than
    the Perl 5 equivalent; hopefully this means Perl 6 will finally see the
    back of code like:

        map  { $_->[0] }
        sort { $a->[1] <=> $a->[1] }
        map  { [$_, extract_key_from($_) } @array

    Damian's post on the subject, referenced below, looks like the front
    runner. It's worth reading if you're interested in sort itself or if
    you're interested in how Perl 6's multi dispatch will work.

    http://tinyurl.com/yvgsg

  Allison Randal is the new Project Manager
    Nat Torkington announced that he's managed to pass the Perl 6 Project
    Manager hat on to Allison Randal's increasingly be-hatted head.
    Congratulations and commiserations to Nat and Allison. I'll leave it up
    to you to decide who gets which.

    http://tinyurl.com/2rmoh

Announcements, Apologies, Acknowledgements
    Um... I'm late. Sorry.

    If you find these summaries useful or enjoyable, please consider
    contributing to the Perl Foundation to help support the development of
    Perl. You might also like to send me feedback at
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED], or drop by my website.

    http://donate.perl-foundation.org/ -- The Perl Foundation

    http://dev.perl.org/perl6/ -- Perl 6 Development site

    http://www.bofh.org.uk/ -- My website, "Just a Summary"