On Sun, 15 May 2005, Juerd wrote:

I do think $__ looks too much like $_.

Yeah, lets drop that idea.

A bit better would be to not have
a "bigger" topic, but a "higher" topic, $-, but the problem with seeing
the invocant as a topic on another level, is that
inconsistency/asymmetry would be introduced between

   method {
       # topic is object
       given 5 {
           # topic is 5
           # "bigger" topic is object, we access it as $__

and

   given $object {
       # topic is object
       given 5 {
           # topic is 5
           # $object is neither $_ nor $__

By "bigger topic" I did not mean "outer topic"; I was thinking that $__ can *only* get bound to an invocant.

You didn't say what you think about ./method; What is your opinion?

I like it. ( I assume you mean: .method is always $_.method ./method is always $?SELF.method ) Yes, I like it a lot!

--abhijit

Abhijit Mahabal http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~amahabal/