At 12:55 PM -0700 7/14/06, Larry Wall wrote:
On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 10:56:59PM -0700, Darren Duncan wrote (edited):
: Now, I didn't see them yet anywhere in Synopsis 3, but I strongly
: recommend having negated versions of all these various types of
: equality tests.  Eg, !=== for ===, !eqv for eqv, etc.  They would be
: used very frequently, I believe (and I have even tried to do so), and
: of course we get the nice parity.

My gut feeling contradicts yours--I think these are going to be far
rarer in practice than == and eq, so they don't warrant yet more
special forms that have to be memorized.

Actually, now that I think about it, I could use 'not' to avoid a lot of the syntactic hassle that I've been having with a lack of !===. Eg, what I wanted was to avoid having to say:

  if (!($foo === $bar) and ...) { ... }

So I had proposed instead:

  if ($foo !=== $bar and ...) { ... }

But then your post reminded me of 'not', and since it binds tighter than 'and' and 'or', I can say:

  if (not $foo === $bar and ...) { ... }

While I still like the second example best, in light of the issues of not-raising you mention that could confuse others, I'll withdraw my request for now.

-- Darren Duncan