On Sun, 2011-02-01 at 10:27 -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>   - What was the first production release of Linux?
>   - At what point was each of the above declared a "production
> release";
>     was it concurrent with the release, or some time afterwards?

Linus declared what his goals for 1.0 were and started a 0.9x series.

I think the transition was something like 0.12 -> 0.95 but when I
started using linux it was about 0.99c or so.  I started in December and
the 1.0 was some time the following summer.  I think the 0.95 (or
whatever) was about August/September.

Debian's first public release was something like 0.94rc6 but their
version numbers now look like: 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 5.1 ...

I think freezing a subset of what you eventually want to have and then
getting as close as you can on a fairly tight schedule is the best way
to get buy-in from users.

Debian has a pretty good way to do this.  Except for release-critical
bugs, I think they eventually just push all the rest into the next
release aobut a week before they publish the final product.  I know that
this description is imprecise but you can see it what they really do in
their bug graphs.

--
--gh