Work on rakudoc languished because for most people, looking on line was easier and quicker than looking for installed modules.

There REMAINS a need for a tool to look at the documentation associated with installed modules. That documentation exists if it is contained in the distribution that zef installs. As Vadim said Raku can robustly keep multiple versions of the same Module differing by version number and author fork. So in principle, if the Module is there, so is the documentation. But rakudoc does not access that information.

So rakudoc does not do what you might think it should.

On 05/01/2021 17:41, JJ Merelo wrote:
Yep, there are a couple of (known) issues here: https://github.com/Raku/problem-solving/issues/252 <https://github.com/Raku/problem-solving/issues/252> which request to remove it from the ecosystem (and I'll probably do it when I finish this email), and this one https://github.com/Raku/doc/issues/2896 <https://github.com/Raku/doc/issues/2896> Build.pm does not really work now, to it should probably be removed. And if it is, there's actually nothing to "install" so it should be removed. Maybe we should work first on releasing rakudoc. Let me see if we can do that soon-ish or it requires a lot of work. And in any case we will probably encourage people to use the online version of the documentation (or to build it themselves via Documentable)

Thanks anyways for the checks, cheers

El mar, 5 ene 2021 a las 18:02, Gianni Ceccarelli (<dak...@thenautilus.net <mailto:dak...@thenautilus.net>>) escribió:

    On 2021-01-05 William Michels via perl6-users
    <perl6-users@perl.org <mailto:perl6-users@perl.org>>
    wrote:
    > Raiph's suggestion works for me (on rakudo-2020.10). I mean, p6doc
    > installs

    Oh, that points to new, different, problems.

    https://modules.raku.org/search/?q=p6doc
    <https://modules.raku.org/search/?q=p6doc> links to
    https://github.com/Raku/doc <https://github.com/Raku/doc> which
    does not contain a ``p6doc`` script,
    which means that what I get with ``zef install p6doc`` is not the same
    thing (this is a general problem with pointing at repositories instead
    of distribution artifacts, it's not specific to p6doc)

    Then, ``zef install p6doc`` fails here, because::

      Failed to create directory '/usr/share/perl6/site/doc' with mode
      '0o777': Failed to mkdir: Permission denied

    AIUI, distributions should install to the CompUnit::Repository in my
    home directory, not into the system-wide one.

--         Dakkar - <Mobilis in mobile>
            GPG public key fingerprint = A071 E618 DD2C 5901 9574
                                         6FE2 40EA 9883 7519 3F88
                                key id = 0x75193F88

--
JJ