Hi Steve,

The "that" clearly refers to the precedent sentence:
Since the inception of messaging networks,
governments and societies worldwide have
instituted surveillance for all kinds of
essential legitimate purposes - especially
where the potential harm to people is great.
"Pervasive monitoring" seems an utterly meaningless
term used for political rhetoric/evangelical purposes
that isn't worth pursuing.  That should be a first order
conclusion.

The point was that this is all about risk management.
However, if you or anyone else want to denominate
a religious abstraction as an "attack" - go for it. :-)
It'll be fun to watch.

--tony