Steve,

Brian's draft defines "pervasive surveillance" as
the practice of
surveillance at widespread observation points, without any
modification of network traffic, and without any particular
surveillance target in mind.
There are a couple of obvious deficiencies here..

As a starter, the definition is self-contradictory.
The first sentence in the introduction uses RFC6973's
definition of surveillance with is aimed at an individual
and concatenates it with "pervasive" to come up with
something that says there "is no particular surveillance
target in  mind."  Which is it?  You cannot logically
concatenate the two notions together.

You also don't deal with timeframes.  Most Big Data
implementations for all kinds of purposes, acquire
observations and sort out the metadata.  That's how
particular particular targets (e.g., purveyors of cheap
nuclear devices) are found, and it's mandated by law
under the E.U. Data Retention Directive.

Additionally, all this is context dependent as there all
kinds of bases for exactly this kind of activity that are
operational, commercial, and legal.  It would also be
interesting to see a definition of "network."  Radio
networks have been subject to constant monitoring
for many decades.  Fast forwarding to SDNs and Cloud
Computing services, renders most of these this efforts
irrelevant.

Then after proffering a definition, the religious statement
appears: "we presume a priori that communications systems
should aim to provide appropriate privacy guarantees to
their users, and that such pervasive surveillance is therefore
a bad thing."  "Presume a priori?"  There are innumerable
contexts where privacy - which is itself a socio-political-
legal abstraction - is not relevant or applicable.

Similarly, the "perfect passive adversary" definition is a
self-contradiction.  If the observer is taking no action,
there is no threat by definition.

We explicitly assume the PPA does not have the ability to compromise
trusted systems at either the initiator or a recipient of a
communication.
Give me a break.  Here again, an assertion is made that
is simply not credible.  Essentially all systems are
capable of compromise - either technically, lawfully,
or through insider threats (which is generally regarded
as the greatest threat).

If you want to analyze any of this within the context of
substantive ongoing work, you should consider applying
the STIX threat analysis/exchange model.

This kind of work tends to turn the IETF into a script
writing exercise for the third season of VEEP.

--tony