Hi Josie,

We had a similar challenge (academic library/ Special Collections), with me
being the first in a preservation-focused position. Changing the culture is
a slow process, but it can be done!

I warmly recommend Abbie Kundishora's approach as presented in this poster:
https://museumpests.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Abbie-Kundishora_AIC_IPM-FINAL-poster.pdf

<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fmuseumpests.net%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2020%2f02%2fAbbie-Kundishora_AIC_IPM-FINAL-poster.pdf&c=E,1,GL-FUIZdRhPCFlbSrO-zfVCJLNqmbLtYc2tx2E01i6YILxpBevKCWCaBfg7wOqcf3Jt4T4h6_YY3kshDaZYQ20FUQcfeFrTP-Xva1pwjqXbtbL0cUYJBMPc8W7VR&typo=1>
We started the Bug Bingo with our department and student employees a few
months after I joined the team, and I get bug jars and small prizes. It is
a lighthearted way to introduce concepts of IPM and spread awareness and it
has inspired positive conversations around IPM. For our next (fourth)
round, we are going to make teams in an effort to engage more colleagues.

Proceedings from the IPM-CH meeting in 2019:
https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1389000/FULLTEXT01.pdf
<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.diva-portal.org%2fsmash%2fget%2fdiva2%3a1389000%2fFULLTEXT01.pdf&c=E,1,11GlvTOGgh2S-TwawInk_sJkeJKG8qnGgLeeuszcQbx4DIMknnnhqZjwAA3kqFI5Cb1vbJiorc9EEzqJDDpcynSpuBQss8huiaTjXpH4fiL1&typo=1>
This publication has some chapters on training and "socializing" IPM that
have been very helpful for us.

Collaborating with management and with facilities management has been very
helpful as well. We now have an annual handling training for our department
that includes basic concepts of IPM, and our preservation assistant has
been making a quarterly "Bug Bulletin" to inform colleagues on our IPM
efforts. Other institutions and colleagues have shared their IPM training
presentations here:
https://museumpests.net/prevention-introduction/prevention-awareness-and-training/

<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fmuseumpests.net%2fprevention-introduction%2fprevention-awareness-and-training%2f&c=E,1,aH9wvXDfXBygaJKrk8IlaGFUi8Y3s9Z5rX02YObC3TJiQ8q5XpL4nTHWsWwj8UucIvAOxL24PWXI6aqTmlN16dCoSGRNi05uE2xpJr9b6qkRF21mag,,&typo=1>

I wanted to create engagement and buy-in and get to know our building and
collection well before introducing an official policy, so I kept the
official part of this program in my first year to a monitoring protocol. We
are now working on a more comprehensive IPM policy.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, I am happy to help
and share our work so far.

All my best,
Fleur van der Woude