Hi list,

We are experiencing a steady flow of BAD state error messages that I cannot explain.

According to google, incorrect state keeping should be the prime suspect
of BAD state errors so I have checked our current ruleset a couple of
times to make sure that we do keep state on every pass rule (flags
S/SA).

Moreover, as far as I know OpenBSD 4.1 should default to 'flags
S/SA keep state' on all pass rules anyways.

Most BAD state errors seem to occur on ACK's in the middle of
established connections.

Our setup is currently comprised of 2 bridging OpenBSD 4.1-STABLE
firewalls using pfsync and RSTP for failover. They protect 60-70
machines, mostly webservers.

Sanitized copies of /var/log/messages and our current ruleset can be
found here :

http://blog.myunix.dk/pf/

pfctl output:

# pfctl -si

State Table                          Total             Rate
 current entries                    13853
 searches                       727029054         6055.6/s
 inserts                         17777707          148.1/s
 removals                        17770562          148.0/s
Counters
 match                           19207675          160.0/s
 bad-offset                             0            0.0/s
 fragment                               6            0.0/s
 short                                  4            0.0/s
 normalize                             64            0.0/s
 memory                                 0            0.0/s
 bad-timestamp                          0            0.0/s
 congestion                             0            0.0/s
 ip-option                              0            0.0/s
 proto-cksum                         4472            0.0/s
 state-mismatch                    117106            1.0/s
 state-insert                           0            0.0/s
 state-limit                            0            0.0/s
 src-limit                              0            0.0/s
 synproxy                               0            0.0/s

I hope that someone can shed some light what's going on ...

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Henrik Johansen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]