On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 05:04, Alban Hertroys
<dal...@solfertje.student.utwente.nl> wrote:
> On 21 Nov 2010, at 24:17, Trevor Talbot wrote:

>> Elliot, Magnus wants forum->list email to come from a per-user address
>> so that when he replies directly to that address (without sending it
>> to the list), the response is mapped to a PM.

> Actually, I think that's only your approach to a possible solution to achieve
> what he wants?

I was simply trying to "translate" the issues between the two
environments, as it were. A per-user email address is what Magnus
requested:

>>> Based on that, I'm back to saying that the email has to be generated
>>> from a valid email address, that can be used for return traffic.
>>> Whether it's the users original address or a forum-specific one is a
>>> different question, but a blackhole catch-all one just won't do.

> I do see a difficulty here; if the forum software is only subscribed with one
> e-mail address, how is it going to distinguish between a reply-all and a
> private reply?
> Maybe it would help to subscribe it using two or three addresses, so that you
> can see if both (or at least two out of three) addresses got the reply, or
> only one?

Once the forum software determines an incoming email is meant to be a
private message, how would it determine which user it is meant for?