On Jul 21, 2008, at 13:19, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

I was going to write some stuff about citext anyway. Quite apart from the above considerations I'm still a bit concerned about its performance characteristics. And I'm not sure we really want all the baggage that David is proposing to bring along with it. Is it an advance to force the regex_replace "i" flag for such a type? I can imagine cases where I might want it to sort insensitively, but be able to do case sensitive regex ops on it. It's not as if the user can't supply the flag. So right now I don't think citext should be included, because there are still issues to sort out, if for no other reason.

I'm happy to work with folks to get them figured out, but at the end, there may be some differing opinions. If there's a reference implementation that could be checked (how does a case-insensitive collation work in another database?), that would be fine.

You can use the "c" flag to get case-sensitive comparison with the regex functions, though not with the operators. (Maybe this should be moved to a separate thread?)

Best,

David