Is there any reason it's easier to do as a configure option instead of an initdb option or better yet a per-database option?

The reason we're shying away from configure options for functionality changes is that more and more users are getting pistgres from binary distributions. Which option should redhat ship for example?

Also, a configure option is kind if weird since that's a property of the binary not the data: what happens if you build a database with selinux and the switch binaries to a non-we build? Is that option in pg_control?

--
Greg