Dave Page wrote:
If it's at all hard to do, I could see deprecating 8.2 for Windows
instead.

I could most definitely agree with that on a personal level - no more
Mingw/msys builds to maintain :-)

Alas, it's probably not practical to drop it without inconveniencing a
great many Windows users.

I hope you're not suggesting we drop Mingw/MSys as a build platform, even if you personally don't want to build with it. I would have found it much harder to do parallel restore for Windows (which works quite differently from Unix, and so had to be specifically developed) if I had been forced to use the MS tool set with which I don't ever otherwise work.

I don't think we should deprecate 8.2 on Windows unless we really can't backport this fix reasonably.

cheers

andrew