>I can have libpq look at the environment as it does for
>PGCLIENTENCODING, but I'd certainly like to be able to use the
>connection string as well, as environment variables are not really the

another challenge with the Environment variable: they are (at least on
windows) usually set for one logged on user.

And ususally I have pg_admin, python for development, psql and my
application all connected to the same PostgreSQL server.

I would love to see 4 different application names, and not the value of one
environment-variable. that argv[0] that was somewhere in this thread looked
nice :)

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa