Peter Eisentraut wrote:
IMNSHO it's essential. I think Peter's approach of ignoring this requirement is extremely shortsighted.

Whose requirement is it?  I'm not ignoring it, but so far no one has
actually said that it is a requirement and why.

Mine for one :-). Quite apart from any other reason I would expect it to make indexing parts of the JSON more tractable. Say we use it to store a web session object, which is a natural enough use. I might well want to find or modify sessions with certain characteristics. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only possible usewr who would want something substantially more of such a type than just being able to validate it. We have XPath for XML. and a substantial accessor API for hstore, so why would we want anything less for JSON?

In general we have adopted an approach that allows for a very rich type system, with a substantial set of manipulator functions for almost all types. That's one of the things I find attractive about Postgres, so I think we should stick to it in this instance.

cheers

andrew