On Jun 5, 2010, at 7:02 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> From a usability point of view, if we adopt the spec's syntax we have to
> stop allowing => for any other purpose.  Period.

What if we added a new "dual" type and limited the => operator only to that
type, being, essentially, a constructor. Then hstore and function call param
processing could be rewritten to transform those types into key/value pairs.

So you'd call functions with:

 foo( bar => 1, baz => 'this');

Actually, now that I think about it, the hstore => basically does this: it
constructs an hstore from its two values. So why not basically move hstore into
core and just use it for function arguments?

Crazy idea, I know, but thought I'd just throw it out there.

Best,

David