David E. Wheeler wrote:
On Jun 5, 2010, at 7:02 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

From a usability point of view, if we adopt the spec's syntax we have to
stop allowing => for any other purpose.  Period.

What if we added a new "dual" type and limited the => operator only to that
type, being, essentially, a constructor. Then hstore and function call param processing
could be rewritten to transform those types into key/value pairs.

So you'd call functions with:

 foo( bar => 1, baz => 'this');

Actually, now that I think about it, the hstore => basically does this: it
constructs an hstore from its two values. So why not basically move hstore into
core and just use it for function arguments?

Crazy idea, I know, but thought I'd just throw it out there.

I'm fairly strongly inclined to go with Tom's original dictum above. Even if it's not strictly true, doing anything else is likely to be rather fragile, ISTM.

cheers

andrew