On ons, 2010-08-11 at 15:06 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
You original email said:

         For some historic reasons, I have my local scripts set up so
         that they build development instances using the hardcoded port
         65432.

I think my response would be "Don't do that".
Do you have a concrete suggestion for a different way to handle it?

Well, I do all my builds under a common directory, and my setup shell script has stuff like this to choose a port:

   for port in `seq -w 5701 5799` ; do
       grep -q -- "--with-pgport=$port" $base/*/config.log || break
   done

It's worked fairly well for me for about five years now. No doubt there could be many variations on this theme.

cheers

andrew