BTW, the cpluspluscheck script invokes g++ with -fno-operator-names,
saying

        # -fno-operator-names omits the definition of bitand and bitor, which
        # collide with varbit.h.  Could be fixed, if one were so inclined.

I just confirmed that those two function definitions are the only issues
that currently show up if one removes the switch.  Now, I'm not that
concerned about whether C++ users can include varbit.h ... but if we're
really going to use this technique to check whether C++ can include
headers, I think we've got to get rid of that switch, or we'll get
bitten elsewhere.

I propose renaming bitand() and bitor() to bit_and and bit_or() ...
any objections?