On 02/09/2016 11:21 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

The idea I was toying with is that previous filesystem activity (making
the temp install, the server's never-fsync'd writes, etc) has built up a
bunch of dirty kernel buffers, and at some point the kernel goes nuts
writing all that data.  So the issues we're seeing would come and go
depending on the timing of that I/O spike.  I'm not sure how to prove
such a theory from here.

Yeah. It's faintly possible that a kernel upgrade will  help.

Another data point. I have another RPi2B that is running Debian Wheezy rather than the Fedora remix. I'm running the same test on it we ran yesterday on axolotl. It seems to be running without having the same problems. So maybe the particular kernel port to ARM is what's tripping us up.

cheers

andrew