--On Monday, September 01, 2003 14:24:14 -0300 "Marc G. Fournier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:

Larry Rosenman wrote:

> --On Monday, September 01, 2003 12:35:43 -0400 Bruce Momjian
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >> Um. I don't think that's true. I mean, in theory it's true, but in
> >> practice why would an OS have some *_r but have only non-thread-safe
> >> versions of others?
> >
> > Oh, interesting.  So you are saying that if the OS supports threads,
> > then we use the *_r if they have them, and assume the non *_r
> > functions are already thread-safe if they don't.  Interesting.
> >
> > That seems to be what we have on Unixware, and on BSD/OS I have some
> > *_r functions but not others, but they are all threadsafe, so your
> > plan works there too.
> UnixWare's Kernel is threaded, and I assume anything in libc is
> threadsafe unless
> told otherwise.

What?  You said Unixware needs getpwuid_r.  And this has nothing to do
with whether the kernel is threaded.

Note that Larry said "unless told otherwise", so I'm guessing that there is somewhere in Unixware taht states that standard getpwuid isn't thread safe? :)
http://www.lerctr.org:8458/en/man/html.3C/getpwent.3C.html
the above is the manual page as used on UnixWare.  See the very end.

LER

Phone: +1 972-414-9812                 E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not match