Fernando Nasser wrote:

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

Karel Zak wrote:

The problem with CSV is that it will correctly work with new protocol
only. Because old versions of clients are newline sensitive. And CSV
can contains newline in by quotation marks defined attributes:

"John", "Smith", "The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500", "male", "open source software office"

It is one record.

(Long Live President Smith!)

I have never seen such a beast,

Export from a spreadsheet where people have formated the cell with the address on it.

Well, I just tried with OpenOffice on my RH9 box, and it translated the line breaks in the cell into spaces in the CSV. When I replaced them with line breaks in a text editor and reloaded it treated them as separate rows.

I don't have a Windows box handy on which I can test Excel's behaviour.

cheers

andrew

http://archives.postgresql.org