Josh Berkus wrote:

Overall, I assert again that approaching this issue through COPY enhancements is really not the way to go. We should be looking at a client utility, like pg_import and pg_export. The primary purpose of COPY is bulk loads for backup/restore, and I'm against doing a lot of tinkering which might make it less efficient or introduce new issues into what's currently very reliable.

That's not unreasonable. I floated my idea as an alternative to a much more radical proposal. If we decided against it we should remove the TODO item.

As against that, if we don't do this then I think we should embrace these utility programs more, possibly bringing them into the distribution.

cheers

andrew

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?