What's the basis of this objection to a web-based dev management system? Seems like web-based makes plenty of sense for a physically disparate development community like this one.

I can't speak for the people who don't like web based but my guess is that the web is not their primary medium of communication. Email is.

It also seems that, once you get it up and running, any worthwhile dev management system is going to actually take less time / effort to maintain than, say, maintaining manually concocted todo lists and coordinating development via a mailing list.

This is true or at least, this is my experience but you are not going to convince many people of that.

Call me a normaliser, but even if the maintenance cost is higher, I
think it's worth it to have a centralised, authoratitive, organised
repository for dev task data.

I agree.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

-- Your PostgreSQL solutions company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.800.492.2240 PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Programming, 24x7 support Managed Services, Shared and Dedication Hosting Co-Authors: plPHP, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/