On 05/12/2014 10:54 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
But Smalltalk V was cheap, small, fairly well documented and worked on
windows (DOS even).

Yes, I even used it IIRC, but it was not gratis.

And IMHO the only way to compete back then with the big boys (MS, Borland etc) was to either be gratis or open source. Because you couldn't match up when it came to advertising etc.

Now, then came Sun with *both* a gratis download of the JDK *and* advertising as hell - bam.

I mean... at the University we all used C++ in 1990s because it was free. I did have the luck to actually get to use VW then, but that took some effort from the University to get proper licenses.

regards, Göran