Git is a DISTRIBUTED source code management system, it does not really live on
one server. Technically, your and everybody else's local copy contains
everything. You can move it around at will.

The github functionality on top of that *is* restricted to their site, although
there are pretty good clones.

I would not fear for a lock in.