Or, try a stable release.
Whenever I try developing on the latest version, I end up getting disrupted
by bugs in the core tools 70-80% of the time.
For released versions, in 1.4 it was maybe 5%, in 2.0 40%, in 3.0 20%, in
4.0 10%
So at least it's been trending downwards, though I expect a totally new
debugger, image format, RBParser unification and new FFI in 5.0 will keep
causing problems for a quite a while.

Cheers,
Henry