Hi,

> On Aug 3, 2016, at 11:16 AM, Nicolai Hess <nicolaih...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > On Aug 3, 2016, at 9:16 AM, Nicolai Hess <nicolaih...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > Command is an actual key on Mac next to Option(which is Alt) and Control.
> > So, Command is a concrete key and mapping it logically to another key on
> > another platform is mixing semantics.
> >
> > I propose to have two distinct layers in the image:
> > 1. the raw layer is about having a distinct selector for each concrete key
> > that is found on the keyboard. Right now, it seems to me that the VM does a
> > bit of interpretation and mapping, and if it does, I think it should just
> > provide a distinct code for each distinct key.
> > 2. the portable layer is about having a couple of selectors (e.g., #meta,
> > #secondaryMeta) that provide consistent mappings to the raw keys.
> >
> > So, in this way, #command/#control/#alt would belong to layer 1. and
> > #meta/#secondaryMeta (we could find a better name) would belong to layer 2.
> >
> > Does this make sense?
> >

> > So, what does that mean for the text navigation mapping in Rubric. Which
> > shortcut should I use?
> >
> > Any way to take a decision?
> >
> > I don't really want to wait until we implement a new layer.
>
> Thanks for the ping.
>
> I think that you cannot use now properly a uniform shortcut if we do not
> introduce these “layers”. I also think that we are talking about a couple of
> methods, so the effort is only in making the decision. I think that given
> that nobody disagreed, we can go ahead with it.
>
> For the specific question related to text navigation in Rubric, you could use
> #meta.
>
> But how?
> If I add this to RubTextEditor class>>#buildShortcutsOn: aBuilder
>

>     (aBuilder shortcut: #nextWord)
>         category: RubTextEditor name
>         default: Character arrowRight meta
>         do: [ :target :morph :event | target editor cursorRight: event]
>

>     (aBuilder shortcut: #previousWord)
>         category: RubTextEditor name
>         default: Character arrowLeft meta
>         do: [ :target :morph :event | target editor cursorLeft: event]
>

> we can not dive in/out in spotter.
>
> This is why I asked:
>
> Why did the shortcut for dive-in element/category changed from
> cmd+right
> cmd+shift+right
> ctrl+right
> ctrl+shift+right

Oh, I see now!

The change was made from cmd+right to meta+right in the move of Guille to make
all keybindings uniform.

If a keybinding would be problematic in Spotter, we could also override the
keybinding directly in the Spotter editor, I think. What do you think?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"