Hi,

> Hey Doru,
> about what "two issues" are we talking? My only issue for now is,
> what shortcut shold we use for moving the cursor forward/backward word. Even
> if we introduce a new layer, at some point in time you need to
> define: If  the user types the CTRL+LEFT -key, even if we call it
> differently, some action happens, dive-out or move-backward-word ?
> At the moment (on windows) you can use both to move word-by-word:
> ctrl+left/right and alt+left/right, because this is how it is defined in
> rubrics action/cmdaction map.
>
> If we want to clean this up and use the kmdispatcher registration, I think we
> don't want to use both ctr and alt again, right?
> So, someone has to take the decision.
> I myself would prefer
> ctrl+left/right because this is what (all) many other programs are using on
> windows. Fine. But recently Spotter changed its
> dive in / dive out shortcut to use ctrl+left/right.
> Therefor I am asking you, why, and whether we want to keep it or not. If we
> want to keep it, we may
> - just overwrite the binding for the textfield -> not good, I think, you
> wouldn't be able to do word-by-word movements in the textfield anymore
> - overwrite the binding and use another binding for word-by-word moving, but
> just in spotters text field
> Or we revert that change and use the old shortcuts again.
> (And what to use for mac and linux?)
>
> but I am getting really tired of asking, and will do something else instead.

The short answer: we will override the keybinding in the text morph for now.
This will mean that we cannot move word by word in the text field using
#control, but it will be consistent with all other platforms. Could you open an
issue for this, please?

On top of that, we will externalize all GTSpotter shortcuts through settings:
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18455/Spotter-shortcuts-should-be-externalized-as-settings

Long answer: As explained before, the shortcut changed in the process of making
all shortcuts uniform when Guille introduced #meta instead of #command (like it
was before). The thing is that currently:
- #command means #alt on Win and #command on Mac, and
- #meta means #control on Win and #command on Mac.

But, #command should be a low level key, not a portable one. It should not have
a meaning on Windows, because the key does not exist on that platform.

Moving to make keybindings uniform is a good thing, but only having #meta is
not enough for situation like the one you mention. That is why I am proposing
to introduce a #secondaryMeta as a platform-independent modifier that would
mean #alt on Win and #control on Mac. We could use that one more consistently.
Is this a better explanation?

Cheers,
Doru

--