On 12 February 2017 at 09:22, Yuriy Tymchuk <yuriy.tymc...@me.com> wrote:
> I try to use StackOverflow documentation to document some Pharo stuff. It’s
> very limited, but it has all the collaborative stuff from StackOverflow, so
> somehow I believe there is less effort needed to manage permissions.
>
> Uko

Uko, thanks for mentioning this, I wasn't aware of it, and will try
and contribute a bit to build the knowledge base (I don't believe email
or chat (slack, discord, etc.) even with a searchable history, can
replace a wiki for documentation).

There's been quite a bit of discussion in the past about in-image
documentation vs external documentation (e.g. wikis, books, etc.).  While I
like the idea of having the documentation in image, the delays and cost of
getting documentation in to the core image currently makes it largely
impractical to have the same level of contribution as a wiki.

Recently I've seen in a couple of places people mentioning that github
and/or gitlab allow simple editing of files in the web interface and
directly generating pull requests.

Given that the class comment is stored in a separate file, could this
help facilitate the development of in-image documentation?

If there's no one that knows more about this than me, and there is some
interest, I'm happy to investigate a bit further.

Cheers,
Alistair