Hi Tim,

Perhaps a different way of phrasing it that might help is that tags are
global, not per branch.

Checking out a commit, whether by id, tag, or Branch name implies the
entire tree.

Cheers,
Alistair

On 31 Jul. 2017 11:09 am, "Tim Mackinnon" <tim@testit.works> wrote:

Hi Peter - I am confused now, I’ve always understood that git tags are used
to mark important points in history. From the Git online manual - "Tagging

Like most VCSs, Git has the ability to tag specific points in history as
being important. Typically people use this functionality to mark release
points (v1.0, and so on). In this section, you’ll learn how to list the
available tags, how to create new tags, and what the different types of
tags are.
“

So I’ve always understood that by putting a tag on a commit, I was getting
a snapshot of the whole graph at that point in time? Thus - by specifying
the “:tag name” on the baseline url, you were getting that version?

Thinking a bit more, I guess if you want to to actually make some changes
from that tag point - you do need to create a -b branch from it (otherwise
you have a detached head right?) - is this what you are getting at?

Or is there a more obvious thing I am missing that lets you point to a
particular version in GIT? I appreciate your insight into this, as I think
we all need to learn how to do this properly.

Tim