Hi,

i had no answer to my comments on fogbuz (one of the first) so i assumed
it was not a good idea.

In the usecases i used to reproduce the bug, replacing "ex pass" by "ex
debug" in runCaseForDebug:solved the problem. See the analysis on
fogbuz.

Did not have any side effect, but i do not know enough about the system
and maybe it does. I think i already asked about that somewhere (here or
on discord) but no answers.

But maybe it is wrong to do that? I'd be happy to have feedback on that.

Steven.

Le 2018-08-05 22:27, Tim Mackinnon a écrit :

> Guys - this really needs attention - I've spend hours now trying to debug
> some code and most of it is in closing infinite debuggers. It makes a mockery
> of our tagline - "awesome debugging". And the extra irony is that I'm
> debugging some file path stuff for exercism, to make it easier for hopefully
> more people to learn Pharo.
>
> How can we get this fixed?
>
> Tim
>
> On 2 Aug 2018, at 21:44, Norbert Hartl <norb...@hartl.name> wrote:
>
> bump
>
> Am 04.07.2018 um 02:28 schrieb Martin McClure <mar...@hand2mouse.com>:
>
> On 07/03/2018 05:02 PM, Martin McClure wrote: On 06/29/2018 07:48 AM,
> Guillermo Polito wrote:
> I know that the exception handling/debugging has been modified several
> times in the latest years (some refactorings, hiding contexts...), we
> unfortunately don't have tests for it, so I'd like some more pair of
> eyes on it. Ben, Martin could you take a look?
> Hi Guille,
> I'm just back from vacation last week, and about to go on vacation for
> another week, but I'll see what I can see.
> About the primitive pragmas for context-marking, I think some of those
> were changed for the exception handling fix that Andres and I did a few
> years back, so *could* be involved in this. I'd hate to see regression
> in the exception handling in an attempt to fix this bug.

After a look at at the pull request, I'm quite sure that removing the
prim 199 marker is the wrong thing to do. Thanks, Pablo, for restoring
it! The start of execution of exception handlers must be marked in order
for #findNextHandlerContext to work correctly. If these contexts are not
marked, exceptions signaled from inside an exception handler can find
the wrong handler. See the code and comment in #findNextHandlerContext.

I'm afraid that I cannot immediately help with the debugger problem,
since I don't know the debugger nearly as well as I do the exception
handling code, and I'm going on vacation for a week in 20 minutes. :-)
Perhaps when I get back I can take a look at it if it is still a problem
by then.

Regards,
-Martin