Hi all,

I have convinced a friend to take a closer look at Pharo 1.2.1 and Dolphin
Smalltalk. He is an experienced Java developer.
After some time he started to complain about Pharo. I was discussing with him
and now think that he has some valid points.

His biggest complaint is: "Why does Pharo always show windows at sizes and
positions I don't want?"
I answered him: You could set the standard window size in the class
RealEstateAgent and furthermore you can create or change >>initialExtent
methods in every class that is involved.
But his answer was: Why should I do that? It's the responsibility of an IDE. I
don't want to program elementary things of my IDE. Why is there no mechanism
that let a user set the sizes and positions of windows? Netbeans and Eclipse
are doing that nicely. Why isn't it possible in Pharo?
After that discussion I now question my own way of using Pharo and Squeak. I
have created some changesets that I used to file in when using
a fresh image. But that seems stupid now...

His second complaint was that he doesn't like the cluttered windows. While
programming he had a lot of open windows and told me that he lost overview.
Especially in Pharo he is complaining about minimized windows that are hard to
distinguish. He better likes Dolphin with tabbed windows that are common in
other IDE's.

Regards
Andreas