> On 03 Feb 2015, at 13:59, kilon alios <kilon.al...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I do agree, that nomads do not build cathedrals but there is the flip side of
> the coin, why one would want to be a nomad and the great benefits coming with
> being a nomad
>
> Guido the creator of python explains it from the side of the Python Standard
> library but I think it applies fine for Pharo too
>
> http://youtu.be/EBRMq2Ioxsc?t=49m4s <http://youtu.be/EBRMq2Ioxsc?t=49m4s>
>
> he makes the point at 49th minute for a couple of minutes. Especially if the
> subject of your coding is quite unconventional putting it inside a standard
> distribution can be a huge wast of time that not only can offer limited
> benefits but even decrease the quality of the code substantially.

The idea is not that everything should be added… the idea is that we do
experiments (or commercial projects), and *after* we re-assess if
the changes that where needed to make those real make sense to be feed back
into the main system.
Often it is just parts, and in all “research” cases a real engineering pass is
needed: research prototypes are just good enough to publish a paper… every
minute
spend doing more means publishing less, which is hurting your research career.
(Research is a very nomadic activity…)

> Thanks for the slides. I am using Pharo for a couple of years and I am amazed
> how far it has come , keep up the great work.

Thanks!

        Marcus