Kilon, your second paragraph can be understood as a description of Spec. There
is a low level code and an extensions API, and ALL widgets are implemented as
such extensions and you can assemble a GUI framework. What you propose as your
ideal solution is reimplementing this wheel all over again.

In the end, you never clearly stated why you don’t like Spec. I mean, beyond
the questions that I provided you an answer for some time ago. So please,
instead of saying ‘I don’t like X’ clarify exactly what it is that you don’t
like and why. Otherwise there will never be advances and it’s annoying to hear
the same vague complaints all over again ...

> On Feb 12, 2015, at 15:28, kilon alios <kilon.al...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Frankly big libraries dont make much sense for me when it comes to Pharo.
> Sure if we were talking about Python I would say yes. I do believe however
> that Pharo makes it already very easy to combine libraries together.
>
> So for me the ideal solution would be a very low level core that comes with
> very well documented extensions API and then widgets are implemented as third
> party extensions that will allow you to assemble a GUI framework tailor made
> to your own needs. Unfortunately making such a complex core will require
> quite some effort . So my idea is not without its own problems.
>
> So I would have to say no , I dont agree,  at least I think we imagine very
> different things.
>
> The goal of Spec may not be to replace Morphic but then the goal of the human
> race was not to go to the moon until one day scientists told us its possible.
> The same can happen with Spec, keep improving it , extending it and people
> will keep using it more and more in place of Morphic even if Spec still keeps
> relying in Morphic.   Afterall its not difficult to imagine Spec one day in
> the distant future coming with its own backend. None can predict the future
> afterall, even if you invent it (sorry Alan). But then this what makes future
> so exciting , its unpredictable nature.

PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile