Thank you all for your answers (For whatever reason all replies by Torsten
to this thread ended up as separate threads.. maybe mail client issues?)

It seems that <sample> is then the go-to naming for now. I also like that
the word starts differently so it's easy to differentiate them at a glance.

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Torsten Bergmann <asta...@gmx.de> wrote:

> It is important to note that these methods COULD BUT
>   MUST NOT RETURN an instance. Usually such a method is only there to
> demonstrate code.

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this restriction. For example
BorderedMorph>>exampleGradient could on top of opening a morph also return
the instance.
If you are running it from Nautilus it makes no difference, but when you
run it manually you could also inspect the instance, so you could further
manipulate with it... in a sense two-in-one. :)
Otherwise you would have to get it via inspecting morph halos.

Or in another sense you could either inspect <sample> and then manually run
it, or execute <example> that would on top of that also return inspectable
value of the <sample>.

2. returning examples
> =====================
>   While some example methods just demo code and code usage (like "Job
> example" or "BorderedMorph exampleGradient")
>   a subset of them directly return an instance of the method defining
> class (like LabelMorph>>example).
>
>   The idea of the GT Tools is to call these methods and display the return
> value as inspectable "instances" in the tools,
>   so for instance if you inspect class VirtualMachine or Character you get
> a tab entitled "E.g." where you can click on
>   these sample instances.
>
>   GT and (because GT )now latest Pharo currently still uses "gtExample"
> method prefix or <gtExample> pragma to mark such methods and there
>   is also to wish to remove the "gt" prefix. But with this we would have a
> clash with the other "exampleXXX" usage.
>
>   => I would propose to mark the code examples that return an instance
> with an <exemplar> method.
>
>      According to Google definition of <exemplar> noun - "a person or
> thing serving as a typical example or excellent model."
>

>      Urban dictionary defines <exemplar> as  "a typical or standard model
> or specimen"

As a side note... I think it's best to use urban dictionary for slang, and
not Pharo dev. :) Looking up the name of it there shows at least a bit of
self-reflection. :)

Peter