On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 6:13 AM, Peter Uhnák <i.uh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you all for your answers (For whatever reason all replies by Torsten
> to this thread ended up as separate threads.. maybe mail client issues?)
>
> It seems that <sample> is then the go-to naming for now. I also like that
> the word starts differently so it's easy to differentiate them at a glance.

We should also see what Doru comes up with.

> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Torsten Bergmann <asta...@gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> It is important to note that these methods COULD BUT
>>   MUST NOT RETURN an instance. Usually such a method is only there to
>> demonstrate code.
>

> I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this restriction. For example
> BorderedMorph>>exampleGradient could on top of opening a morph also return
> the instance.
> If you are running it from Nautilus it makes no difference, but when you run
> it manually you could also inspect the instance, so you could further
> manipulate with it... in a sense two-in-one. :)
> Otherwise you would have to get it via inspecting morph halos.
>
> Or in another sense you could either inspect <sample> and then manually run
> it, or execute <example> that would on top of that also return inspectable
> value of the <sample>.
>

>> 2. returning examples
>> =====================
>>   While some example methods just demo code and code usage (like "Job
>> example" or "BorderedMorph exampleGradient")
>>   a subset of them directly return an instance of the method defining
>> class (like LabelMorph>>example).
>>
>>   The idea of the GT Tools is to call these methods and display the return
>> value as inspectable "instances" in the tools,
>>   so for instance if you inspect class VirtualMachine or Character you get
>> a tab entitled "E.g." where you can click on
>>   these sample instances.
>>
>>   GT and (because GT )now latest Pharo currently still uses "gtExample"
>> method prefix or <gtExample> pragma to mark such methods and there
>>   is also to wish to remove the "gt" prefix. But with this we would have a
>> clash with the other "exampleXXX" usage.
>>
>>   => I would propose to mark the code examples that return an instance
>> with an <exemplar> method.
>>
>>      According to Google definition of <exemplar> noun - "a person or
>> thing serving as a typical example or excellent model."
>

>>      Urban dictionary defines <exemplar> as  "a typical or standard model
>> or specimen"
>

> As a side note... I think it's best to use urban dictionary for slang, and
> not Pharo dev. :) Looking up the name of it there shows at least a bit of
> self-reflection. :)

Good idea, but even this can be misleading and the usual wiki concerns
with apply. While (b) seems reasonable, (a) and (c) are very suspect.
Note the author "placefake."

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=exemplar
    (a) the mythical task occupying any computer technician,
preferably employed by a university or other educational institute,
for their summer months of 'down time.'
    (b) a typical or standard model or specimen: (i.e. and example.
just said with a really dorky 15th century word.)
    (c) any action performed by don swanner.
    by placefakeJune 04, 2010

cheers -ben