I tried making store benchmark based on caching settings on Windows which
look like this:
http://www.windows7library.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Write-Caching-Policy.jpg

both options checked: desktop 690 per sec, laptop 490 per sec
caching checked (enabled), second one not checked (which is default
setting): desktop 18 per sec, laptop 480 per sec
neither checked: desktop 17 per sec, laptop 9 per sec

All is still very far from more than 20 000 on linux in virtual box on the
same PC.

Also pretty curious how it has different influence on them. I should note
that desktop HDD is much older - laptop is 3 years old, but desktop HDD is
WD Blue WD6400AAKS made almost 8 years ago. However, disc monitoring
utilities report that it is in perfect health (but still old, technologies
improved since then I believe).

Jan

philippeback wrote